A Beginner's Makeup Bag!

Hello everyone!

My sister is a makeup novice. She doesn't wear it, doesn't know how to put it on and if I left her in Boots to pick her own bits and pieces I think she'd have a breakdown. 

On our last shopping trip, I helped her pick out the very basics of her makeup bag. For a beginner, these are the items I'd recommend starting with. There's a grand total of four products here which isn't much, I know, but remember this is for someone who has never done makeup before and wants the change to be a subtle one.


1. Maybelline Better Skin Foundation - When I was thinking about a foundation choice I was mostly concerned with finding something that was as pale as can be. I bought this Better Skin thinking I was buying the Rimmel Match Perfection as I know it's very pale. Since then, I have bought the Rimmel foundation to replace the Maybelline one just because it's paler. However, I think both foundations are reasonable. 

2. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - Can anyone tell me where we would be without this concealer? I love this product, it works excellently, the shade is the lightest I've found in the drugstore, it's long wearing and can be used on redness, blemishes and under the eyes alike. 

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder - Anther must as far as a beginner's makeup is concerned. I wish someone had introduced me to mattifying powders whilst I was in school. I used to just whip a foundation on (that probably didn't match my skin) and go, by the end of the day it would be patchy and horrendous. This is a cheap and easy to use product which above all does it's job extremely well.

4. MaxFactor 2000 Calorie Mascara - I picked this one because it's my favourite. I've repurchased this mascara probably a dozen times and it works great considering it's only £8.00. My main concern was that it can be difficult to use regarding clumping lashes but, to be honest, I didn't really know what else to pick and I figured I'd rather buy one I know is good and let her learn how to use it than buy a terrible mascara that would never look good. 

She also has a powder brush and a foundation brush which were by no means expensive. But once she gets the hang of it.. maybe Father Christmas will bring her some Real Techniques? Who knows? 

She also picked up a really cute little makeup bag from Primark for only a couple of pounds. 

So that's what I'd suggest for a very minimal beginner's makeup bag. I know you could add eyeliner, blush, bronzer, lipstick, eyeshadow but that wasn't what we were aiming for. And quite frankly if someone starting banging on about things like contouring to me a few years ago I'd have given makeup up as a bad job. We wanted a subtle change that would be hardly recognisable! She can build the rest up as she goes along. 

What are your thoughts?
Would you add or change anything? 

Thanks for reading, 
Leanne x
Follow on Bloglovin

Thoughts of the day
  • I'm currently debating a Forever 21 order. Found some pretty good deals in the sale! Really need to stop spending though ahah! Has anyone placed an order recently?
  • Organised all my makeup today. I thought I'd have a lot more to sell or throw away but surprisingly, there wasn't. Found some old gems too.
  • I'm watching a programme called Coast and it's making me want to visit Cornwall. I've never been despite living in England all my life. I feel like I'm missing out.

4 comments:

  1. Everyone is raving about the collection concealer, hopefully payday hurries up so i can go and buy this! Love your post and blog! x

    Everything Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the concealer and powder, they are must haves!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I read every single comment and reply to them all. If you have any other questions you can Tweet me @MystNeonLights :)

 












Follow


Contact
ridgway.leanne@gmail.com