A Boots Beauty Haul | Ft. Barry M and Sleek!

Hello Everyone!

I went slightly mental in Boots. I went in there for a heat protectant for my hair and a Toni & Guy Finishing Shine Spray that I used years ago. Sadly the shine spray is no longer available in stores so I had to eBay that shiz. Didn't prevent me from standing at the Toni & Guy stand like a lemon for a good 10 minutes though. 


It was also ridiculously busy, I was in the huge Boots on Market Street in Manchester and I did not anticipate it being that busy. They've changed everything around too, for Christmas stock so I couldn't find anything, it was a nightmare. The reason I picked up so much stuff I don't need is because being the muppet that I am, I felt a bit of a strange one carrying around an empty basket looking for the things I intended to buy so I just kept adding random makeup items in my basket that I really didn't need. This is what goes on in my brain. Empty Basket = Definitely a weird one. must. put. things. in. 

Anyway, I understand that you came here to see a haul haha, so let's get to it!

I saw on the Superdrug website that Barry M has matte nail varnishes. I really wanted a black one so I was pleased as punch to find these in Boots. Everything was on 3 for 2 offer so I picked up 3. The matte colours I bought are 'Espresso' which is black, 'Crush' which is a deep burgundy and I also picked up a nail effects in 'Countess' which I actually really like, it's a purple coloured varnish packed with gold and some multi-coloured glitter. 

I think these matte varnishes are so unusual and a nice change for the winter. They did have some lighter shades but I just picked up these two to see how I got on with them. So far I'm really happy with them, I've had mine of for 2 days now and they haven't started to chip. Usually it doesn't take much, typically only a day, until my nails chip but these are still going strong! I'm pleased!

Price: £3.99
(I can't find a link to the Countess paint unfortunately)

Next, I picked up 3 Sleek products, 2 'True Colour' Lipsticks and the 'I Divine, Ultra Mattes (v2) Darks Palette'. I didn't intend on buying these but now I have them at home I think I'll enjoy using them, especially the matte eyeshadow palette (are we developing a theme here...). These were also on 3 for 2. 

First off, I picked up 'Heartbreaker'. This is a matte lipstick (Theme! I swear this was not planned). It's extremely vibrant in colour. I would kind of compare it to the MAC Nicki lipstick in brightness, the colours and finishes are different but both are lipsticks that stands out. Maybe a bit out of season but who really cares? 

Having used them quickly for the swatches I can say that this isn't the most pleasant of lipsticks to apply, it drag on the lips as you brush it across but I definitely feel that that helps it adhere to the lips more, making it last longer. Once it is on it's comfortable enough to wear, I haven't used it out of the house yet though so I'll make a follow up post on these soon.


Next, I picked up 'Smother'. Unusually name for a lipstick but I suppose it suits the shade. This is a sheen finish but I kind of with it was matte too. I think it would look more effective in matte, the shine to it kind of softens it up. 

I saw this and kind of laughed at how ridiculous it would look on my skin then went ahead and swatched it anyway and was surprised at how purple and berry looking it was. So I bought it. I have nothing else anything like this in my collection so I suppose it'll be a learning curve. I'll say now that when you apply it on your lips it does come out darker than a quick swatch on your hand in the shop. However, I do still like it. It probably won't be a day-to-day one for me but a night out lippy, definitely. 

Quick tip from when I quickly used this, if you make a mistake and get this on your skin, you are not going to get it off easily so take extra care when applying it! 

Price: £4.99

Top Left to Right: Orbit, Ink, Highness, Noir, Dune, Pillow Talk.
Bottom Left to Right: Thunder, Maple, Flesh, Paper Bag, Villain, Fern.
Lastly from Sleek I picked up the Dark Matte Palette. I've actually been eyeing this up online for a while but didn't intend on buying it in a hurry. However I was in the moment and it happened to jump right in to my basket off the shelf... 

I haven't used this on my eyes yet but I did make swatches on my hand. My first impressions on this palette are that the colours are kind of hit and miss and there is a lot of fallout from the shades as you can probably tell from the picture below. 

Top Left to Right: Orbit, Ink, Highness, Noir, Dune, Pillow Talk.
Bottom Left to Right: Thunder, Maple, Flesh, Paper Bag, Villain, Fern.

Having said that, the colours are very soft and feel really nice and there is a wide variety of colours for the festive season, I can't wait to get a nice burgundy look out of this palette.

On first impressions, the colours I'm not impressed with are 'Highness', the purple third in on the top row. Looking at this colour I'd expect it to be a really deep purple but sadly it isn't it, hardly showed up. I had to go over it about 3 times to get a decent colour. I had a similar issue with 'Thunder', the grey colour first on the bottom row. It just didn't want to show up. Also, 'Dune' is a pretty pointless colour for my skin as it barely even showed up ... good for blending? Annoyingly they seem to have put two almost identical colours in the palette 'Dune' and 'Flesh' are extremely similar.

I'm pretty happy with the rest of the shades though, my favourites being 'Orbit', first on the top row, this is an extremely gorgeous teal colour. 'Villain', second to last, and 'Maple', second in on the bottom row, are also really pretty colours. The white shade 'Pillow Talk' is a really really pigmented white too which I didn't expect.



Price: £7.99

SLEEK ULTRA MATTE PALETTE 2
From Sanctuary, I picked up this sachet of 'Salt Scrub'. Intending to use it on my face I was excited to try it out only to discover on the back it says 'DO NOT PUT ON FACE' :( I'm so silly. It's for yer bod. 

It was only £1.75 though so I'm not too let down. I don't actually have a bath at my house though we just have a big shower so I have no idea when this will get used...

You can buy this 60g sachet for £1.75


Last but not least, something I actually went in to Boots for! I picked up two Elnette products, a hair spray, the 'extreme hold' kind because thet's what I always use! And a heat protectant in the 'straight' kind because I'll only be using the heat protecter when I straighten my hair and if this aims to keep your hair straight and frizz free then winner!

You can buy the hair spray at Boots for £4.20
(Link is to the 400ml bottle because I can't find the 200ml one online)

You can buy this at Boots for £5.99 (£3.99 at the moment!)

So that was what I bought, not bad considering I went in for TWO things. 
I'll be reviewing most of these things soon I would imagine because I have uni work to be doing and having this blog is a great excuse to not do what I'm supposed to be doing...

Have you tried any of these products? 
Will you be sporting some matte nail polish this winter? 
Let me know!

See you next time, 
Leanne x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I read every single comment and reply to them all. If you have any other questions you can Tweet me @MystNeonLights :)

 












Follow


Contact
ridgway.leanne@gmail.com